LOCATION AND CONTEXT
Te Kura ō Tākaro opened in 1957 and we celebrated our 50th Jubilee in 2007 enjoyed by present and past pupils and teachers.
Te Kura ō Tākaro is located in the Highbury Suburb of Palmerston North and is a Decile 1 Full Primary for year 0—8 students.
The school enjoys the support of loyal and established whanau and community. This sense of whanaungatanga provides a strong foundation for the school. The maintenance of this foundation is a testimony to the commitment and resilience of whanau in the face of national policies, which have impacted on key areas such as housing, health and employment. Students are predominantly Māori.
‘No ngā hau e wha nga tamariki Māori o te kura nei.’
The strong presence of Tangata Pacifika in the community is drawn upon at times to support the school.
* Year 1-8
* Emphasis on Numeracy and Literacy in the Early Years
* Total Immersion or Mainstream
* Technology Programmes
* Extra support for children with Special Needs
* Sports Teams
* Camps - Education Outside the Classroom
* Cultural diversity is celebrated throughout the School
* Rumaki Reo - Total immersion for all levels
* Kapa Haka Rōpū
* Up-to-date information communication technologies
* Duffy Books in Homes
* Rotary Readers - Community Volunteers
* Homework Study Support three afternoons a week from 3-5.00pm
* On-site Social Worker and Resource Teacher of Māori
Give us a call:
(06) 3581 563
School begins at 8.55 am.
Students are allowed in the gate at 8.30 am.
Break: 10.20 am - 10.30 am
Interval - 11.30-11.45 am
Lunch Play - 12.45 - 1.15 pm
Lunch eat - 1.15 - 1.25 pm
End - 2.45 pm
Even Weeks - 2-2.45 pm
Absences need to be rung through each morning on (06) 3581 563 or 080010 20 70
EXCELLENCE IN PROGRAMMING
High academic standards
* Excellent monitoring of student progress
* Teachers are experienced, and skilled in all areas of the New Zealand Curriculum and Te Marautanga o Aotearoa
* Hands-on approach to learning
* Creativity is encouraged and nurtured
* Excellent provision for Special Needs students
* Low student-teacher ratios
* Extension and Enrichment Programmes